Sunday, February 28, 2010

A Piece of Humble Pie....


So a few weeks ago, I was all jazzed on here as I talked about my PR in the Half Marathon in Dallas....Was boasting about my 1:49 time...which I found out later put me 6th in my age group and 101st overall...Not to shabby...The following weekend I had a 16 miler, followed by a 12, followed by an 18 last week...I will not lie the 18 hurt, but I felt alright...Was still feeling in the zone...Then came today.
I was supposed to do 20...lets just say that I barely, barely did 14.45....It may have been the worst run of the last two years and you know why?.....Because my inner athlete needed to kick my ass....and he did...

He said:
You are not hydrating enough during the week and the night before.
You are not preparing the night before for your long runs(both mentally and physically)
You are letting work stress you out to much adn it is affecting your running.
Quit eating the Peanut Butter M&M's, sure they taste good and you burn them off at the gym, but on the long runs they are going to come back and haunt you AND THEY ARE...
Stop drinking the Energy Drinks...What the hell are you thinking...You know better...If you were hydrating right you would not need the help with energy in the first place.
You are starting to take running for granted...Sure it gets easier but it is always something you, especially you need to work at.
Eat the right portions...You are eating well, just eat the right amount...
Quit snacking at night...You were doing so well....Drink water, Drink Water, Drink Water.
Keep your confidence up...You are still doing it...I just needed to kick you down so you could get up, brush yourself off and push forward...

So those were the ingrediants for my Humble Pie, I am positive that we have all had a piece of this pie a time or two, but today it burnt me like no other...

The good news is I had not weighed myself in over 2 months...part of me was afraid that I was going to gain weight back since I had not been eating the best all fo the time...Well I hadn't...sure some of it back, but 211 is pretty darn good...and with 2 months till the start of the Race in Eugene...plenty of time to get back down to my racing weight (198, Marine Corps Marathon)

Book Recommendation:  Personal Record: A Love Affair with Running by Rachel Toor
It is short, sweet, to the point and I highly recommend it to all runners...

No comments:

Post a Comment