Sunday, March 8, 2020

The Cookie Club....

As I repost these stories, the memories and the smiles that accompany them come rushing back.

Mr. Quillin was an amazing man.

You see, my classmate Paul and I always make it a point when we can, when I am in town visiting, to get together for a Donut, some soda and to catch up.  We have now drafted Jeremy into those get together was well.

The conversations always lead to the GREAT Mercy Hospital Team (referenced in a previous memory).  I am not sure that I have ever talked more about a team in my life.  My apologies to Paul, the HS championship team from a few weeks ago is now right up there.

One thing leads to another and we would always end up talking about our Dads.  Both were Coaches and have had such a lasting impact on our lives.

Besides the Mercy Hospital Team Memory, Mr. Quillin also contributed to the Memory collection because of his job at Randalls in Cedar Rapids.  Randalls was located on Edgewood Road.  Just down the road from Happy Joes, and not to far from the previously mentioned Donutland.  It had been Barlows(spelling??) before Randalls.  I remember the Barlows sign being a GREEN Lit up cursive.

The Kasparek Family did their grocery shopping there for some time.  When we did, there was Mr. Quillin, walking the aisles, busting his hump, but ALWAYS, ALWAYS, ALWAYS had a smile on his face and a greeting for those around….but I also remember him asking us kids if we had got our Cookie yet.  You see, there was a Cookie Club.  Seriously, does anyone else remember this?  You went to the Grocery Store, and you got a Cookie.  I cannot remember if there was a punch card of some sort, or if there was money involved, but I do know that you got a COOKIE!!!!!!  There goes that damn sweet tooth again.

Thank you Paul for always sharing stories of your Dad with me, I know he is greatly missed.
I look forward to our next donut where we will once again talk about the Mercy Team, our green jerseys, how know one could beat us, and of course talking about our fathers. 


No comments:

Post a Comment