Tuesday, March 3, 2009

From Manwiches to the Man I am still trying to be....

Upon graduating college, I was still in pretty good shape. What can I say, intramurals, 4 years of Summer Camps and walking across campus kept me in shape. Then I got out into the real world, on my own and it is safe to say that I packed on some pounds.

My career was blossoming as a Youth Director in the Navy, and so was my waist line. From a 36 to a 42 in a matter of a few years. My face went from athletic to round. My color went from red in the summer time, to red all of the time. Why did I let this happen? Who really knows. It did and in a way I am glad it did. In 2000 I met my beautiful wife, who loved me for who I was on the inside, how could she love me for what was on the outside...at least thats what I thought. We were engadged at the Vatican, yep that Vatican...and were married in the Spring of 2002. I can still remember looking into the crowd at the ceremony and seeing someone say, "He is a big guy"..

I remained active, for the next 4 years, just not in active shape...Would play softball and get routine triples, but would look like I was going to have a heart attack upon sliding safely into third. The career kept rising and yes so did the weight.

A daughter would arrive in 2005, but still the drive to be better physically always was out of my grasp. I was finding success in all that I did, just not when it came to my own health. Was put on Cholesterol medicine, dislocated a shoulder, yep I contribute that as well to being overweight. When you fall on a trail and grab a rope to keep from falling...and your body goes one way and the arm goes the other..I blame weight..

Then finally in January of 2007, I found out that I was having a son...and for some reason the biggest fear I have ever felt overwhelmed me..I did not want to die. I was sick of sitting on the airplane and sweating. Sick of not being able to carry my daughter on my shoulders because my double chin was making it hard ot breathe. Sick of making fat jokes about myself, because at that time, thats what I did.


So the day after the SuperBowl, I started my journey....and now here we are...1 marathon, and a few half-marathons later, I am still fighting the battle that will always be there to fight.
and this will be my continued journey. So why am I doing this blog...I know for a fact that I am not alone in my struggles and challenges with my weight, and my vision of who I am on the outside. This blog will hopefully serve some as a motivator and others just as the usual entertainment that my writing hopefully has given to those over the past few years...

This blog will be focused on my workouts and what gets me through it. For updates on my family, you will still need to go to the masterpiece that my wife has created.

Enjoy the Blog, and most of all Enjoy Life...

2 comments:

  1. Yea!!! We are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO (a million more O's) proud of you!
    XOXOX,
    Vanessa, Emma, and Camden
    a.k.a. Your #1 Fans!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Who's the cute little doggie in the one picture? I used to know a dog like that............he's dead now though.

    ReplyDelete