Sunday, April 12, 2009

14 Miles of Fun followed by 2 miles of pure Hell...

Yep that pretty much says it all....Well let me backup a little bit. Last Wednesday afternoon(1st of April), I was helping to lay down a gym tarp for my big Kid's Camp Deployment Day. This entailed a good hour of me being on my knees, crawling across a gym floor...Really did not think anything of it. So Thursday at the actual event I was on my feet all day, so decided to take the day off from running...On Friday I put in a few miles, Saturday(6), Off on Sunday, 6 on Monday and 5 on Tuesday...Then it happened...I woke up at 2 in the morning on Wednesday...My knee was killing me, so I iced it and went back to sleep. I had not really experienced a pain in my knee like this since I had started running almost 2 years ago, so I was not really that worried. Low and behold, I woke up Wednesday at 6 and looked at my knee...

It looked like someone had put a Tennis Ball on top of my knee cap and it was mushy....Vanessa in her best supportive role, looked at it and said EWWWWWW...Very reassuring....In the past in the MANWICH days, I would have thought nothing of it...I would have put ice on it, grabbed a candy bar and plopped my ass down on the couch...Not so these days...I freaked, called my brother, called my dad, and looked on-line for knee information...I am signed up for two marathons, and international half(Canada), and have already bought my ticket to DC...I CANNOT BE HURT....SO I listened to someone who has become a true hero of mine...my Brother Tim, the Stud Ironman Athlete that he is...."Take a few days off, you'll be fine..."

So I did...Took 3 days off, iced it, took some drugs, iced it some more and took more drugs...All of this while stressing a little bit for my long run on Saturday...A 16 miler...and to reverse even further in time, it is important to know that when I was training for my first marathon, I did not finish my 14 mile run(hit a wall), or the 16 or 18 miler(injured)...

Was my body screwing with me again..or was I screwing with my body...

So I woke up this morning and ventured off for my 16 mile run with a knee brace...my brand new FUEL BELT, and my BRAND NEW Mizuno Coat...A quick sidebar...MY Mizuno coat rocks..simply for the fact that as a larger man, I can breath in it...All other running coats suck the breath out of me, and make my Moobies look huge...

As I started out, I felt pretty crappy...not hurting, just dehydrated, so I inhaled a few of my bottles and carried on...Felt really good...At mile 9, I had depleted all of my hydration(the plan), and refilled my bottles at the convenience store...I have started to do this on my long runs...Saves having to have a caravan of support and it is easier to carry a ID and Credit Card...

Miles 9-13.1 felt pretty good. but was a little disappointed in my half time...Went 4 minutes over my last competitive HAlf MArathon 2 weeks ago..I blame the terrible head wind for the first 9 miles(no joke), and the knee, which though was not hurting, I could tell I was favoring just to be careful..

Then I hit Mile 14....HOLY CRAP....It is really funny how at mile 14 it feels as if you are doing a 8 or 9 minute mile, when in fact you are doing between a 10 and 11 minute mile...The legs started to go, and I finished off my last hydration...As I made my way to the car, my body must have looked comical to cars going by...I was hurting, and I knew it.

After was all said and done, I was pretty happy with my results..16 miles at a overall 9:54 pace...DO I have some work to do...Absolutely....But no rest for the weary...Next week is a 18 miler, so stay tuned...It should be a good one...Fingers crossed...

2 comments:

  1. Way to go Chris, sticking with the run and being patient with recovery from your knee injury. Way to be smart!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Nice job brother. It's funny because my 16 milers always seem way TOO long as well. Maybe it's a family thing?? Hopefully, your knee is good and won't be giving you much trouble. Only 10 miles for me today, FINALLY a down week! Happy Easter!!!

    ReplyDelete