Wednesday, April 29, 2009

The Happiest 1 Mile Ever...

So last night I had my doctor's appointment and he told me at that time "Let's see what happens to your knee when you run." Which translated, means to me....You can start running...So I went home a little nervous about if I really wanted to do this...The knee was still feeling a little tender and sore, so I thought, thought some more, watched the season finale of Heroes, and then chose to be smart and wait another day.

This morning I woke up and packed my bag for work. Which today, for the first time in two weeks meant my running shoes and workout clothes...I cannot possibly explain how that felt...As cheesy as that may sound...It felt good.

At lunch I decided to head to the gym..which is a 5 minute walk(if that) from my office..It was one of the most nervous times I can remember. I was mentally examining my knee with every step I took...Am I ready, should I wait...or should I just do it...

So I changed and decided to start with a 15 minute warm-up on the eliptical. Felt good..and for the first time in 2 weeks had a good sweat going...

Then it happened..I stepped on the treadmill and pushed the button...Started at 5.5 just to be safe...God for bid, the knee lock-up and I fall on my face...Within the first minute I jumped it to 6.0...Then 6.5 by the end of the 2nd Minute....At minute 5 I increased it to 7.0...What the hell are you doing....I kept thinking about the knee, was it stiffining or was I alright....At minute 8 I went up to 7.5....and then for the last minute and a half, 8....1 mile...9 minutes....The best 9 minute run in two weeks....and a huge boost to my self-esteem...

I stepped of the treadmill, because thats what I said I would do(and checked for swelling,,none)...1 mile today, 2 miles tomm., 3 miles on Thursday, 4 Miles on Friday and 5 on Saturday....Then come Sunday....who knows..maybe the Half will be attainable...and maybe it will not....Either way...I am back...and it feels good...

1 comment:

  1. Good stuff, Chris!!! I hope that rest of your runs are as good as this one!

    ReplyDelete