Thursday, April 2, 2009

Long Overdue...

So the last two weeks have been busier than I can ever remember two weeks being...Between work, running and family....and to be honest that has been the priority stack lately, it has been hard to breathe. Fortunately I have had family members riding me about the lack of new posts, so I finally got sometime this evening to update the good ole Manwich.
So the running has been going really well. My big goals as stated before are to break 2 hours for a half marathon and to get 4 hours or less on the full marathon.

So last weekend I took another attempt at my Half Marathon goal with the Whidbey Half Marathon on Whidbey Island...Was pretty worried the day before as the temps hit 37 and it was down pouring. We had a great pasta meal and I felt pretty good going to bed...unfortunately my cravings got the best of me and I decided that it would be a good/safe idea to have a Large Reeses Peanut Butter Cup Blizzard as well.
At 0600 the Alarm Clock went off on the nightstand in the hotel and in my gut. The next hour was spent in the office as I prepared mentally for the race. My little brother has mentioned to me that I am now becoming more competitive with my races, and I saw it more than ever at this race. Like in HS and college I prepared my outfit the night before, tried it all on, made sure I looked good(or at least thought so), checked and double checked my Ipod, tied and re-tied my shoes, started to stretch and stressed that I would somehow miss the start of the race
After working with Vanessa to get the kids all ready to go we headed out. I got to the race and picked up a few more pins for my bib and some zip ties for my timing chip...and then again headed for the office. Then I headed to the office again.......!#$%^& Dairy Queen.

Then it was time to go to the starting line...Cannot lie, I was nervous....Maybe it was because I was not feeling all so well, or maybe it was because I was really shooting for the 2 hour mark...Whatever it was, the gun did not wait for me and Blamo the race began.

The race started with a nice gradual uphill, which was no big deal considering the hills on my training runs. After the initial uphill was a nice gradual downhill where I started to pick-up the pace...Unfortunately there was a pretty steady headwind blowing right into my face....Fortunately the sun was out and it was starting to warm-up, so much so that I decided to take my Gloves off and toss them to my cheering section at mile 2. That was the last time I saw them until the finish.
The next 11.2 miles were a challenge, but they felt great. The hills were massive, yet I conquered them and never felt like stopping. Even the one at mile 8 that was brutal...It was great going down the mile and a half...but back up....Not so much
So with more than 1 mile left in the race I was left with a downhill and I started to really kick, I was sitting at 1:53...I could make it, I could finish my 1++ miles in less than 7 minutes....I started to kick and kick, and kick some more...I was getting closer to the finish line and then all of a sudden my legs started to wobble and I looked at my watch...1 minute left for the two hours, I pushed, pushed and pushed some more....Ultimately I missed it by two minutes and 12 seconds. but it felt great....The average finish time for all runners was 2:30, so I beat that by 28 minutes...I was in top half of my age group, the top half of all men and in the top 1/4th of all of the runners...Also felt good, because I conquered all the hills and raced a great race in what was by far the hardest I had ever run...

After the race we took in some Quiznos, but no DQ....maybe I will take some in later:) but never the night before a race...Enjoy the pics...
My #1 Fans at the Starting Line...


The dorkiest picture I have ever been in...This is right after I threw my gloves to Vanessa...I am watching them in the air as they travel...
Digging In, I hate this picture because of my gut...but I love it because of the determination in my face...





At the finish, trying to finish hard, but also knowing that I am past my goal...

Daddy's little girl....How can you not love that face.....

1 comment:

  1. Way to go Chris! You have really come a long way and I can't believe all the races you are doing this year. You are incredible! Good luck and look forward to reading about your runs. I guess you have to come back sometime and run Tokyo!

    ReplyDelete